Saturday, May 3, 2008

it's alright ma, i can make it

it feels so strange to be in this room tonight. 
over a perfectly poured guinness he tells me he can't believe i'm here. 

that it doesn't feel real. 

he says i look half empty without kesey at my feet. 

he cried and held me the same way he did the afternoon i left the plains, like i was about to say goodbye. 

i ripped a dylan quote and told him all i could do is be me, whoever that is. 

he laughed, finished his beer, went after my king and put me in checkmate. 

sometimes i just want to disappear and let go for a few months. live out of the volkswagen and travel, well, whenever i get jetta back. 


1 comment:

The Executioner said...

I've been dogsitting for a week. The strange dog has been living in our house with our own two dogs. The strange dog's behavior makes me appreciate our dogs that much more.

How did you come to acquire Kesey?

When I was 12, we brought home a puppy. I remember we got her all settled into the new house, ready to welcome a new dog into our lives. And someone (my mom, maybe) looked at the calendar and realized that it was one year, exactly, to the day, since our first dog had died. This was unintentional, but I think it helped us realize that we had taken the appropriate time to mourn our first loss, and get ready to learn to love again.